Thursday, February 16, 2012

Of Barn Cats and Alpacas

This past week we have had some cold nights, in the -15 to -20c range. Ok, not sooo cold, but it's cold for Nova Scotia.

Each morning and evening at chore time I noticed Tab the cat's food dish was empty and upside down on the barn floor. Hmm, it appears we are helping a stray cat get through a cold spell as Tab never tosses her dish to the floor. No worries, always glad to help a critter in need.

This morning I dutifully picked up the dish and filled it up, then carried on with the chores.

Not 10 minutes later I notice the dish empty and on the floor and no stray cats in sight. Hmmm!
Then I notice one of the alpacas stretching her neck to the back of the shelf where the cat dish usually resides and she appears to be reaching for stray bits of cat food.

This cannot be what it seems! To test my theory, I re-fill the cat dish and hold it out to the mooching alpaca. Sure enough, she looks me right in the eye and takes a big nibble of the cat food.

I cannot say how this gal developed a taste for cat food, nor am I convinced that it's a good thing for alpacas to eat. Her efforts have been thwarted and the cat bowl moved to higher ground.

Alpacas and cats do indeed have similar personalities!

No comments: