Monday, August 31, 2009

How to bath a cat

I am more of a dog person. I don't know a lot about cats. I have however increased my feline knowledge in preparation for taking one of the barn cats, Tab to the vet for a booster shot.

You don't always see a barn cat on the morning you have an appointment for the vet. The evening before the appointed day, I saw Tab in the barn and thought ah ha!

The first thing I have learned is that unlike a dog, you cannot put a cat in a crate for the night. Well actually you can, but you end up with a really messy cat.

The following morning I found Tab was in need of a bath before going for a car ride. The following method worked for me.

1. Wake spouse from his deep sleep to tell him you need help right away.

2. Fill the kitchen sink about half full of quite warm, but not hot water. Assemble shampoo and dry towels.

3. Wrap the cat in an old tea towel.

4. Stand towel wrapped cat in the sink, and have your helper pour warm water over the cat to soak it.

5. Slowly soap the cat, removing the towel as you go. Keep a firm hold on the cat, and don't let her reach out and grab onto anything. This takes four hands to do.

6. While holding the cat, have your helper pour warm, clear water over the cat until it is well rinsed.

7. Let the water out of the sink, while the cat is still standing in it.

8. Wrap the cat in a clean dry towel and dry her as best you can. Keep her warm until she is dry.

Cats take a surprisingly long time to dry.

1 comment:

Bladerunner said...

lol... and no injuries??