Monday, April 28, 2008

The reposting

Do to a spelling error in the web address I have reposted the first early posts.


Sunday, April 27, 2008

Building stalls
Well another busy weekend. The body aches all over. But my wife and I got the wall built to separate the males from the rest of the barn and then one stall if needed. On the female side we are using a variation of the barn plan found in The Camelid Companion (Bennett). The only thing different is we removed the office and we have an enclosed stall at the "from the trailer exit".
All we have left is three gates and the platform for the scale to be built.

One thing about working with hammers, nails, tape measures and saws it that profanity seems to be come out of my mouth much more. Something about carpentry I guess.

Posted by wildwolf at 6:32 PM

Friday, April 25, 2008
the alpacas are coming! The alpacas are coming!
Got word last night that our Alpacas have left Sherwood Park AB for the first leg to Thunderbay. Then on to Paris, On. Before heading to the Maritimes and our place in Nova Scotia.

Earliest expected arrival is Thursday.

Posted by wildwolf at 8:51 AM

Monday, April 21, 2008
Oh the pain
The problem with weekends is that there are more hours in the day to overdue the physical work that farming requires compared to a couple of hours after dinner. My wife and I started each day about 9am and worked solidly till 530pm. We cut and collected the last 1000 fence feet of wire, cut and cleared 15 - 20 trees that had to be moved so the new fence can cut through the woods, and took the old wooden fence posts that could be removed from the ground and made a 20 foot stretch of corrugated road.

Besides other smaller tasks that we got done like spraying the apple trees, weeding the garden so I can rototiller this week, etc; I discovered that I did not drain one of my well pumps for winter properly so it cracked and now have to replace it. This is a pain in the wallet.

On a side note the Calgary Flames won game 6 but that just made me more tired this morning as I stayed up to midnight to catch the end.
Posted by wildwolf at 9:34 AM

Friday, April 18, 2008
Fencing Part 2
Yes, admittedly lifting out the fence posts is heavy work but my sweetheart unfortunately does not have the hand strength to pull out the wire staples as we discovered the previous night.That being said my wife who is never afraid of hard work or a challenge, did provide a good chuckle when after pulling out and/or stacking 40 odd posts she saw me approaching and said "Can I be a girl now". For those who know Caroline this is almost like she is admitting defeat although we also know that would never be true either.My wife is a trooper and I love her. So as long as the next three weeks do not physically kill us we will survive this ordeal of replacing the fencing and fixing up the barn. The guys we have hired to install the fence should arrive on Saturday which will ease some of the heavy lifting burden.

Posted by wildwolf at 12:39 PM

No comments: